Thursday, January 31, 2008

Happy Birthday, dear Hubby!



Steve is - cough, cough - years old today. Not the super big number he'll be next year, but still it's pretty old. He's off working super hard today, just has he does everyday. The girls were super cute this morning. They both came into my room and Steve had just gone downstairs for a minute. They hid under the covers and when Steve came back, they yelled "Happy Birthday" and sang to him. Ella's getting pretty good at that song. The other day when I asked her what she wanted to give daddy for his birthday, she said, "Uhhh, PRINCESS!" That's the best thing in the world to her!

Here's a few of my favorite things about Steve:

He's a good daddy. He loves his girls more than anything in the world (except me, of course!). He gets a kick out of the cute things they do almost as much as I do. He lets them beat him up, which happens everytime he lays on the floor. He loves to make gift giving special - he makes sure we don't wrap presents in the same wrapping paper that Santa does - he takes them each out individually to buy presents for others. And he makes holidays special, dressing up as Steve in Blue's Clues, King Triton, Swiper the Fox, the man with the yellow hat, a mad scientist, a pirate captain, etc. He's very protective of their safety - everyone knows to ask Steve carseat questions. And I love that he cares about the day-to-day happenings of our family. I keep him informed of all the little things that happen around here, and he cares about it all - and then helps with it all!

He's smart. Steve loves politics and current events. I could care less, so Steve keeps me up-to-date on the most important issues. His vocabulary is huge - thanks to diligent comic book reading. I'm pretty sure he taught me the meaning of the word Megalomaniac. He uses big words in everyday life. I've pretty much restricted my vocabulary to mommy-talk, so it's nice to hear grown-up talk every now and again.

He can fix almost anything. I used to tease him about how frequently he would use the word, "modify." He's like his dad in this way. Although he hates household maintenance, he can usually figure anything out. Most of the things we've had to hire out were because he didn't have time (read "desire"), but he could have done it. Our microwave has been on the fritz lately. Knowing he'd rather just go buy another one, I had it all taken apart before he came home yesterday. He fiddled around with all the wires, put it back together, and voila - it's working again. (Hopefully it stays that way.)

He's a kid at heart. Everyone knows that. From his room-sized comic collection (restricted to a few boxes in the closet now) to his Megos (and hundreds of other types of action-figures), he just doesn't want to grow up. It's kind of sad that his age is showing as he's been selling of a lot of his collection (apparently the big-screen TV he bought with the money is an even better toy now). He also loves holidays (mostly Halloween and Christmas) and loves to withhold tradition. Even before he was married and had kids, he made (literally made) his own Halloween costumes - all of which have been throughly enjoyed by his nephews.

He's very knowledgeable in the gospel. He always has great insights during gospel discussions. And anyone that ever heard him teach a Sunday School Lesson knows that he's a good teacher too. It actually surprised most the ward to know that he could speak! And was a great speaker at that! :)

He's a peacemaker. God made him just for me - let's just leave it at that!

He's handsome! Would anyone have guessed his age if they didn't know it? Guess he is lucky that way because I didn't think he was an old fuddy-duddy when I met him. (Now, however... :)

He's loyal. He loves his hometown, Omaha, his hometeam, the Cornhuskers, and his family.

He's a great husband. He never nags, belittles, criticizes, or hurts. Instead, he helps, praises, ignores (in a good way), and loves.

Happy Birthday to Steve, my loving husband and eternal companion!!
Love,
Kim

4 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Enjoyed the comments about Steve. Wish we got to see you guys more. Hope he has a great birthday!

DJ Shanks said...

What a nice tribute to very great brother-in-law! I loved the song and hadn't heard it before. (No, I never get to listen to the radio. Scottie reads to me to and from school. So, yes I'm very OUT of the music world!!) Anyway, I don't think there's a much better gift than a gift of the heart -- good job, Kim! HAPPY cough, cough BIRTHDAY to you Steve!!!

LJ said...

Kim, this was so sweet! I agree and think that you married a pretty awesome guy. The pictures and words were so touching. I'm so happy you found your true prince and now you have two little princesses to raise! Thanks for sharing this!

LJ said...

PS: The old time movie show was AWESOME!