
Emily's a big 5 year old now! She actually does surprise me with moments of maturity. Her make-believe world is amazing. She loves to recreate movies, shows and books. She's back into Wonderpets now. We had a Toys R Us gift card so we went and bought the 3 characters' plush toys. They love them a little too much. 3 toys and 2 kids is a little too much for a mom and dad to bear. Tonight's the first night they haven't screamed at bedtime because of fighting over which one they want. For now one has to sleep on the humidifier and "watch over" them. (That and threatening them that they will all go in the trash if we hear even one cry.) Emily's prayers are starting to vary up a little. However for the most part, she uses prayers as a manipulation tool. "Bless that we'll have a fun, fun, fun, fun, fun day." "Bless that Ella will stop talking during my prayer." "Bless that Ella will stop being annoying and share with me." You get the picture. She still asks the Holy Ghost to watch over her every night. And now she reminds us to pray to feel better if we are sick. Tonight I was complaining that my hands hurt - I have really bad eczema - she walked out of the bathroom, buck naked, and said, "You should pray for Heavenly Father to help your hands feel better." And then she did just that during her prayer! Emily loves to play with friends. And she still prefers boys to girls. Steve thinks it's because boys will let her boss them around. Tonight she saw our neighbor jumping on her trampoline and Ella and Emily went over to play. It's hard watching my kids grow up and play somewhere else. I watched them walk all the way over there and practically watched them play the whole time! Emily just jumped and jumped! Ella sat on it for awhile, then the little girl pushed her on the swing forever!

Emily is becoming quite the artist. She used to be the one-color kid, that bugs me so much, but now she uses all the correct colors and does a great job! Here's her latest picture. (You'll notice the paper is wrinkled - guess who did that to bug her sister?)


Here's Emily searching for Leprechaun gold at preschool. All the kids made Leprechaun traps at home. Guess who's kid had the most basic trap? No, not Mason. :) You should see some of these traps the families make. One was in a wooden box - made just for this purpose. It had a metal grate that could be lifted. When something touched the mousetrap inside (which had a gold coin for bait), the trap would trigger a flashing shamrock to go off. And then the decorating was another story. Sheesh! Is this what I have to compete with when Emily goes to school? Speaking of school, I just wrote a nice long letter to the principal concerning kindergarten next year. Yes, I'm one of those parents. Well you would too if you'd heard some of the horror stories I've heard about this year. 3 kids in my ward alone have pulled their children from kindergarten this year! She responded just to say that she would look into some of the issues and get back to me. Believe me, I'll be on top of things next year. (Of course, once Ella gets into school, things will be different!) Emily will do well, I think - academically at least. She can sound out simple words now. Socially, I hope kindergarten will be good for her! She's sure excited!
5 comments:
I love her smile! Sounds like she's quite the character among her peers.
Sorry to hear about the Kindergarten problems. What's going on there? I know we'll be writing a letter to our principal soon to make an "un-request" for first grade. We do NOT want one particular teacher.
She sure is a smart and imaginative little girl! I love that look she gets when she's in her make-believe world. :)
There will always be someone who goes all out to make the science fair project, the pinewood derby car, the valentine box. Sounds like those parents really enjoyed making the traps! Emily looks so cute with her little pot looking for gold. She is a smartie and will be just fine in school. She has had an excellent preschool teacher!
I think the picture of Emily and Braydon is so cute! Wait until they are teens - they will die of embarassment!
LOVE the picture of Emily and Braydon! So precious. It was so fun to see the other pictures of cute Emily too. She is so funny with her prayers and her imagination! I think that's why Braydon loves her so much! It's great that you're writing this all down for her to remember someday.
PS: Mom, not nearly as much embarrassment had they been in the bathtub together- sheesh! Kim, I think your leprechaun ideas are great!
Post a Comment