Friday, April 3, 2009

Soccer mom & April Fools

I am officially a soccer mom! Emily had her first practice last Saturday and her first game on Tuesday night. She seems to really enjoy it. It was fun to watch her running after the ball at the game. She even got a couple of kicks in - good for her first game I thought! Of course it was FREEZING cold so Ella and I huddled under a blanket. Emily asked to go out of the game a couple of times so she could put her coat back on! This is the first time AF has done Spring soccer, and unfortunately it's a pretty cold spring! Steve made us some warm chocolate when we got back! I know most of the kids on her team from the neighborhood or her class, so it was fun to root for them all!
Usually I avoid April Fools at all costs. I never did anything fun while teaching 2nd grade, because I get tired of the "There's a spider on your head" jokes pretty quickly. Well, Emily came home from school all excited about April Fool's Day. So I decided to have a fun dinner with the April Fool's theme. The girls were excited to set the table all crazy. The kids got huge plates and mugs and M&D got tiny kid plates and cups. We all ate with mixing spoons. I made corn muffins and put candles in them to look like cupcakes and we sang "Happy Fool's Day to Us!" before dinner. I even was able to tint the pink lemonade to look like apple juice, so everyone got a surprise on their first sip! So I guess April Fool's Day isn't all that bad - as long as I'M the one planning the surprises!
Here's a cute picture of Eden sucking her thumb for the first time!! Usually she goes for the whole hand.

3 comments:

Mom G said...

Sounds like fun! I am sure that the girls ate really well. You are a fun mom (and dad). I think it is great that E is in soccer. She looks cute in her outfit.
And the thumbsucking picture is so cute!

Mark and Kellie said...

We really didn't do anything fun for April Fools this year. Sounds like you guys had a fun time. I wonder if the girls would actually eat new foods if we let them eat with mixing spoons?

LJ said...

What fun ideas for April fools! I'll have to plan a "crazy dinner" next year. I love the picture of Steve and Ella- they are a lot like with their fun senses of humor! And Emy is so adorable playing soccer. She looks like she's having a blast with all of her friends. Eden is so sweet and reminds me exactly of my Rissy as she sucks her thumb! Hopefully I can come up sometime this weekend and give my cute nieces hugs again. I miss them.